Thursday, December 2, 2010

Z Is for Zucchini. F is for Frittata


I know I once said brussel sprouts are my favorite veggie and they are, really, I swear. But zucchini comes in a very close second. Usually I just cook my zucs up in a pan with a little bit of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper until they are a little bit charred and crispy so they taste like chips. My second favorite way to use zucchini is with eggs. I make a mean frittata. Here’s my recipe for a classic zucchini frittata. It can be jazzed up with any other veggies too (including sweet potatoes, I tried that once with leeks and it was amaze-balls).



What You Need:

Garlic (2–5 cloves; I usually go heavy on the garlic.)
Olive Oil
Four zucchinis
8 whole eggs (I usually do about 4 eggs and 8 whites.)
Milk (Just a dash)
Salt and pepper
Parmesan Cheese (As little or as much as you like.)

What to Do:

Preheat the broiler. Chop the zucchini into ¼'' slices and crush garlic. (If you’ve got a fancy mandolin use that; I unfortunately don’t.) Sauté them together in a cast-iron skillet that’s been coated with olive oil for about ten minutes.

In a bowl beat together eggs, milk (about 2 tablespoons worth) and salt and pepper. (Sometimes I mix the eggs together in my Magic Bullet to get them extra foamy. A blender works too.) Pour the egg mixture into the warm skillet and let cook for about 2 minutes. Use a spatula to un-stick the sides.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and place the skillet in the heated broiler for about 3 minutes. Let it set until cool. Flip over, slice and serve.
                   

2 comments:

  1. I too am a sucker for zucchini. Your frittata looks simply delicious!
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veggies in a frittata shine!This frittata looks crazy yum.Happy new year to you.

    ReplyDelete