Friday, October 15, 2010

Spicy Broc That'll Knock Off Your Sox


I really don’t know why broccoli gets such a bad rap. True it can make you gassy if you eat too much of it raw, but I personally am a huge fan of the broc. The only way I can get my hubby to eat veggies is if they’re cooked, apparently fresh salads don’t exist in India. (I can actually personally attest to that because everyone is scared that veggies have been washed in contaminated water, you really don’t get fresh veggies too often there, only cooked.) So, I’ve been developing (i.e. finding recipes) ingenious ways to cook veggies every night. My latest and greatest find is broccoli rabe; it’s just so much better than normal broccoli. Here’s my fave way to prepare it:



Sauteed Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Red Chili Flakes

What you need:
4 bunches of broccoli rabe
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 garlic cloves, sliced
Red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper

What to do:
Wash and prepare the broc by cutting down the bottom part of the stem and any stray leaves.

Blanche the broc by bringing a large pot of water to boil. Have another large pot of ice water nearby (aka an ice bath). Once the water has come to a boil, drop in the broc and let boil until it becomes tender and bright green—about 5 minutes. Using tongs, pull it from the boiling water, dry it on a paper towel, and immediately throw it in the ice bath. (You might have to do this in a few batches.) After it's fully cooled, let the water dry out by placing it on a stack of paper towels.

Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium flame. Add the garlic and heat for 1–2 minutes until it starts getting brown and crispy. Add the blanched broc and toss it frequently. Add a pinch or two (depending on how spicy you like it, I personally am a two-pinch kinda gal). Season with salt and pepper. (I’ve been using a lot of kosher salt lately. Here’s a good article on its benefits.)



This dish is a great side to almost anything. It pairs beautifully with Indian or non-Indian dishes. Delish!

7 comments:

  1. Broccoli is definitely a must for everyone, this recipe looks great, I'll try this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do the same thing with Rapini all the time... and Bok Choy..mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Jim (my husband and baby daddy) eats like a head of the broc every day and I think I'll try this to supplement the insanely boring steamed stuff he's been eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know what to do with the broccoli in my fridge.We usually just steam it too, but this stir fry looks great! Thanks for adding the widget! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is excellent. I never bring home brocolli, not knowing what to do with it...I think I'll give this a try...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photographs are as glorious as the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great side dish..broccoli never looked this tempting:)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete