Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Perfect Salad on a Summer Day in Spain




... or Italy for that matter. That's me (or my hand and sunglasses at least) in Lake Como just before I took a bite of that delicious salad. Called ensalada mixta in Spain, this salad is fresh, light, healthy, and absolutely perfect. It can be served with white asparagus, beets, olives, or cucumbers, but this version above is the most classic, and in my opinion, the most delicious. I've been making this salad almost everyday since I've been back from Europe just so I can close my eyes and imagine that I am still sitting in that plaza in Italy with my hubby, basking in the sun and eating some tuna.

Ensalada Mixta a la Shyla 


Butter or romaine lettuce
Fresh, ripe tomatoes (I try to use heirlooms whenever I can get my hands on them)
Corn (fresh is better, but canned works perfectly)
Red tuna (I use the canned stuff ... the one in water, not oil)

Dressing:
To be extra Euro, serve the olive oil, vinegar (white or balsamic), salt and pepper separately so each person can dress their ensalada to their liking.

I don't know what it is about this salad that makes it so perfect, but to me it's Spain and there is nothing more perfect than that.

2 comments:

  1. It really looks perfect!
    I am so going to make it:)
    Kisses my dear

    ps: I am hosting a really cute GIVEAWAY, so please join in:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! This looks absolutely amazing! How perfect!
    xo tash

    ReplyDelete