Friday, September 10, 2010

My Fave Healthy (and Spicy) Dinner: Chana Masala


I had an impromptu dinner party last night with my sissy, my dearest friend Natasha, and my cousin Anita. (Anita is my fourth cousin, I really just call her my cousin because I love her so much, and one of my best friends and she happens to live in our building. How AWESOME is that?!) Anyways, I didn’t have much time to plan ahead so instead of ordering take-out, I made my favorite go-to dish: chana masala.

Chana masala is basically spicy garbanzo beans. They are delicious, healthy, and super easy to make.

Here’s what you need:

2 cans of garbanzo beans, rinsed
1 large onion
2 tomatoes
1 head cilantro
1 packet Chana Chaat masala (You can find this at any Indian store or even buy it online. You can even use regular chaat masala with some red chili powder too.)
Salt

Here’s what you do:

Dice the onion, tomato, and half the head of cilantro.


Sauté the onions on medium-low heat until they start to turn brown (about 10 minutes). Add in the chopped tomato and cilantro. Mix these together over medium heat for about 3 minutes.

Add in the cans of garbanzo beans. Sprinkle in half the packet of Chana Chaat and let simmer. Add salt to taste. Garnish with the rest of the fresh cilantro when you are ready to serve.


I often double this recipe and make a big pot of chana masala and refrigerate to eat throughout the week. It’s delicious, nutritious, and my favorite go-to snack.

P.S. The best part of getting married is all the fun kitchen equipment you get. My number one favorite addition is this purple Le Creuset pot … amazing!

4 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy:) Glad you had a lovely dinner:)
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious chana masala! Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chana masala looks great Shyla!!
    Mouth watering pics..

    My Yatra Diary...

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely pics, chana masala looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete