Monday, September 27, 2010

I Love You, My Sweet Potato

Happy yummy Monday!

We had a delicious weekend of birthdays, bridal showers, and lots of good eats. After Anita's crazy birthday party on Saturday night (which ended with me eating a burrito the size of my head), I woke up Sunday morning craving greasy carbs. I was feeling guilty about the whole head-sized burrito incident so opted for a home-cooked, slightly healthier option to my favorite morning-after treat: french fries. Instead of high-tailing it to Mickey D's, I made some oven-baked sweet potato fries. Yum. Check out this DivineCaroline article on how much better these spuds are then the traditional ones.



What you need:

4 sweet potatoes
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper (aka Red Chili Powder)

Image courtesy of The Food Advocate.

What do do:

Slice potatoes into fry-sized bits. Throw them into a ziplock bag containing 2 tablespoons of the following: olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper. Add another tablespoon of red chili powder and shake it up.

Bake them in the oven at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool for ten minutes and devour. 

I made my own dipping sauce of two parts ketchup, one part mayo. Maybe not as healthy as I intended, but so delicious to eat as I watched the season premier of The Office. A perfect lazy Sunday.

Next time I am going to spice my sweet potato fries up and try this recipe from my favorite food blog, Smitten Kitchen.

Stay turned tomorrow for some of the good stuff we made for my Mama's b'day party including ... braised beef ribs. Heaven.

5 comments:

  1. I love sweet potatos...too:)
    That looks like heaven,sweetie
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely nutritious..beats eating potato fries anyday..awesome recipe !

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your blog title, and your recipes also looks very tempting. Following you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fries look really yummy!! Love, love the name of your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sweet potatoes look delish!!!!!!!! I love that they are baked! :)

    ReplyDelete