Friday, September 17, 2010

Fig Tarts Are a Work of Art

Our lovely, lazy Sunday brunch party last weekend was a total success. It actually ended up turning into a all-day-nearly-dinnertime snack-a-thon as guests stayed until 7 p.m. (the last one, my sis, stayed until after 10!). Here's what I learned from our love-filled afternoon:

1. There is nothing better than spending all day lounding on the floor with people you love.
2. Hubby and I love, love, LOVE to cook and the only thing we love more than that is sharing what we cooked with our buddies.
3. Thomas Keller is a genius. (More on that later ... but if you are looking to buy a beautiful cookbook check out Ad Hoc at Home, I made his savory bread pudding and it was To.Die.For.)
4. Rooftop decks are awesome.
5. I love San Francisco.

Phew! Who knew eating and cooking butter-encrusted foods and drinking cocktails could be such a learning experience! Here was our menu:
  • Herb Scrambled Eggs
  • Savory Herb and Leek Bread Pudding a la Thomas Keller
  • Nimon Ranch Applewood Smoked Bacon
  • Fig Tart (See below for recipe.)
  • Fresh Berries
  • D.I.Y Waffle Bar with Nutella (How can you have a party without Nutella, obvi!)
  • Croissants 
  • Tater Tots 
  • Aperol-Orange Mimosas (See below for recipe.)
  • Blue Bottle Coffee

The Aperol-Orange Mimosas 
This recipe was inspired by Italy and created by my hubs.

What you need:

Aperol
Orange Juice
Prosecco
Freshly-sliced oranges

What you do:

Mix at least one hour ahead of time in a carafe, a 1:1 ratio of OJ and Aperol. Drop in orange slices and chill.

Serve with a 1:1 ratio of OJ Aperol and Prosecco.

Drink sparingly!

The Fig Tart

This recipe was inspired by a recipe I saw on Chez Pim and by my obsessive love-fest with figs. I took a secret easy way out and modified the recipe but it was still a total hit.

What you need:

Figs, Chopped in quarters
Puff Pastry Crust (I used the frozen one from Trader Joe's ... I know, I know, Padma would so be asking me to pack my knives ...)
Two Eggs
Sugar
(Optional ingredient: Goat or Feta Cheese)

What to do:

Whisk together two eggs in a small bowl. Brush over de-frosted puff pastry with pastry brush. 
Randomly place chopped figs on egg-covered pastry dough.
Dust with sugar.
Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
Slice into squares and serve.


Here's a sneak peek of our lovely new apartment pre-party. What do you think of the hint of the orange wall peeking out of the corner?!


Tonight I'm cooking Moroccan-inspired Quinoa and Squash stew ... wish me luck! 

Challo! (Meaning until next time in Hindi.)


6 comments:

  1. Wow! Your place looks great - can't wait to come over :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shyla,

    Iam here for the first time...lovely receipes...lovely blog...

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fig tart looks delicious... But can is be made without eggs as I am Veggie??
    Have a nice day Shyla:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious tart shyla..and your living room looks so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful tart..love the way laid out the figs on top!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a big fan of figs, but this looks really tempting! I like the little peek into your living room too--esp. the orange wall. :)

    ReplyDelete