Saturday, September 11, 2010

Brunch and Hash on My Mind

We are having a brunch party tomorrow and I am so excited. My two additions to the menu are a savory bread pudding from the Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc book and a fresh fig tart. I'll definitely let you guys know how it all turned out ... wish me luck!


Right now I am stuck inside on a gorgeous sunny day because we are having some walls painted in our house. Bummer! Also, after eating thai food and then late night pizza last night I'm currently munching on apples and ginger/lemon/mint-infused water. Yum.
What I really wish I was eating was this:




This is a picture of the best breakfast I've ever eaten as far as my memory can serve. It was taken at a random biker hangout/brunch spot near Flagstaff, Arizona on our cross-country road trip. I adore hash. My best friend Meghan's mom used to make it for us for breakfast as kids and it's my favorite indulgent b-fast treat. Here's an recipe I found on Epicurious that I solemnly swear to try asap. Delish.


What you need:

  • 1 lb baking (russet) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
  • 1-lb piece cooked corned beef, cut into chunks
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 4 large eggs (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

  • What to do:
    Cook potatoes in boiling salted water to cover until just tender, about 3 minutes, then drain. Pulse corned beef in a food processor until coarsely chopped.

    Sauté onion and bell pepper in butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and sauté over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in corned beef and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add cream and cook, stirring, 1 minute.

    If desired, make 4 holes in hash and break 1 egg into each. Cook over moderately low heat, covered, 5 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to desired doneness, and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle hash with parsley.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Shyla, first time here.
    I love the hash, can't resist eating them.
    Would always love the veg version.
    FOODELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im just about to have something to eat and I so would love to have this..yummy:)
    Kisses,sweetie

    Ps: I am hosting a sweet jewelry GIVEAWAY today :) Hope you will join in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hash too...So did you try this recipe yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks delicious. Thanks for your comment in my blog Shyla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oddly enough, I've never had a hash. Your pictures look so good though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool brunch which is my fav...pics makes me to drool..

    ReplyDelete