Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bhindi the Beautiful, Two Ways





After brussels sprouts my next favorite veggie is probably okra, aka bhindi. While the customary way to eat it in this country is breaded and fried (which I am FAR from opposed to!) in the motha-land they do it a bit differently. I cook bindi at least once a week; it's uber healthy and the perfect side dish for a night of spicy curry (or any Indian dish for that matter).


Bhindi One Way
My mama invented this recipe. It's quick, easy, and the bhindi un-failingly comes out perfect.


What you need:


1 pound of okra
1 packet of Chaat Masala (I use Shaan Chaat.)
Lemon (Or as we say it, Limboo.)
Pam (Don't use oil to ensure the bhindi's come out crispy, not greasy.)


What you do:


Heat a medium skillet and spray heavily with Pam. Once the pan is hot, throw in chopped okra and stir-fry over medium-low heat for about ten minutes until the bindi start to crispen on the edges. Shake in about four tablespoons of chaat masala, taste and add more or less to your liking. (I'm not much of a measurer, more of a taster-and-adder.) Don't add any additional salt as the chaat masala is already heavily salted. Spray with fresh lemon juice and serve hot.






Bhindi Two Ways
This recipe is adapted from my favorite Indian/Parsi cookbook, My Bombay Kitchen, written by one of our dearest family friends, Niloufer Ichaporia King. Her book is the Bible of our kitchen.


What you need:


1 onion
1 pound okra
A few green chilies
Half a bunch of cilantro
2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste (This is the staple of Indian cooking. The store bought one sucks in my opinion. Here's a recipe I found online.)
Oil (Note that vegetable oil is best for Indian cooking. I use olive sometimes because it's healthier, but for maximum taste go for the veggie oil.)
Salt


What you do:


Heat about two tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium heat. Throw in chopped onion and let brown. Add in ginger garlic paste and stir together for about two minutes. Drop in salt, okra, and green chilies. Stir-fry for ten minutes until the okra is soft. Garnish with fresh cilantro. 


Have a bhindi-ful day!

11 comments:

  1. Wow! Bhindi is my favourite veggie and both the recipe looks yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bhindi and I must make that dish:) Yum!
    Hugs,sweetie

    Ps: I am hosting a sweet GIVEAWAY today :) Hope you will join in :)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love okra too..both the recipes look delicious n sounds so easy!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bhindi too. The first recipe is so easy! Definitely going to try it. Oh and love the new blog. Everything sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Shyla for dropping by.loved the simple preparations of bhindi...veggis are enjoyed best with less spices

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okra is my fav too, loved the easy to make recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shyla, thanks for leaving a comment on foodie blog meet. We are just planning a food bloggers' meet in LA area and surrounding. I see that you live in SF, so it would be too far for you. May be in near future we will extend it that far. Thanks for showing interest :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am ripping these recipes and giving them a shot.

    I however am absolutely in love with okra, anyway I can get it in my belly!! Fried and breaded for sure, but yes -- this is interesting! Love Indian food and love okra. So this is a nice combo for me! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love bhindi. never thought of trying it with pam--that takes its healthy quotient up another notch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. first time at ur blog ..lovely dishes ..am following ur blog now ..do drop by mine at
    www.happyhealthyfuncooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete