Friday, May 29, 2009

Padma Laxmi Is Hot (and Makes Hot Indo-Inspired Jewelry Too)





Padma Laxmi is hot. Like if-I-were-a-lesbian-I’d-do-her hot/if-I-could-look-like-any-celeb-I-choose-Padma hot. I have literally no idea how she stays so incredibly hot while constantly being surrounded by culinary feats by some of the best chefs in the world. (I would be at least 200 lbs fatter and 200 times less hot if I were in her shoes.) She is totally one of those people who I’d trade lives with in a heartbeat, who I’d actually pay money to trade lives with. (To all of you who say, “Oh, I would never trade places with anyone, I am just so thrilled to be me!”—you are lying.) Plus, it’s fab to have an Indian woman in mainstream American cultures for us ABCD’s (American Born Confused Desi) to look up to.

Her hotness and my obsession with it have nothing to do with the fact that she recently launched her own line of Indian-inspired jewelry. I am usually a skeptic of the random celebs who brands themselves into various products (think J.Lo Glow perfume). However, when I saw Padma’s ethnic gems I was in awe. Many of her pieces are inspired by food. The shape of beans, the shape of cardamons, the color of fresh greens all have a place in Padma’s designs. I started tearing out pages to mail to my mother-in-law in an anonymous manila envelope with the words “HINT! HINT!” written in bold, black sharpie.

If you know anything about Indians, you know that jewelry is a big, huge, bank-breaking deal. While I adore rummaging through my mom’s drawers and admiring diamond chandeliers at weddings, these pieces are just not practical for everyday life. Clearly I will appreciate and treasure any piece of jewelry my family and in-laws gift me on the wedding, but I totally agree with Padma’s sentiment; “As I traveled through my life, I gathered many baubles [NOTE: what the hell is a bauble? Perhaps she meant to say bubble?] and coveted those gifts passed on to me by my Indian family. My life in the West, America, and Europe, heavily influenced my tastes. I found that while I loved those pieces, I wanted more delicate, modern versions of them to wear with everything from jeans to gowns.”

I would wear any of her pieces with jeans, gowns, dresses, saris, or nothing at all (ok, bad joke, I’d never wear them sans ropa but you get the point).

What is your take on bridal jewels? Is it a waste of money or a family treasure to pass on to the next generation?

No comments:

Post a Comment